GIFT GIVING IN MEXICO*
- Gift Giving Etiquette
BUSINESS GIFT GIVING /
PERSONAL GIFT GIVING
- Gift giving is not usually a requirement in Mexican
business culture. Presenting a small gift, however, will generally be
appreciated as a gesture of good will.
- If you do want to give a gift, be aware that
inquiring about what he or she would like to receive as presents can be
- If you are invited to a home, there is no obligation
to bring a gift. If you would like to reciprocate, an invitation out for a
meal is often appreciated.
- If you do present a gift to your hosts, your
thoughtful gesture will be appreciated. Bring candy, flowers, or a
souvenir from your home region. An illustrated book about the city you
represent is a good choice.
- According to Mexican folklore, yellow flowers
symbolize death, red flowers cast spells, and white flowers lift spells.
Ask the florist or another Mexican for help.
- items with your company's logo [for your initial
visit and if appropriate]
- a bottle of wine or scotch [for subsequent visits]
- Expensive gifts are seldom appropriate unless a
considerable degree of friendship has been established.
- Secretaries always appreciate receiving a small but
thoughtful gift such as a souvenir of your area. It's best to wait until
the second or third visit and until she has become a part of your project.
Expensive gifts are never appropriate.
Gifts for Children
- It is also thoughtful to bring a small gift to any
child that may be present at a home you visit. Good gift choices for
- toys associated with the United States
- appropriate computer related software, if not
available in Mexico
- If the child is interested in sports, bring a sports
team shirt or cap, preferably from your area.
- If you're still undecided, ask your Mexican host
ahead of time about his or her child's interests. Try to be indirect;
again, enquiring about what others would like to receive as a present may
Gifts to Avoid
- Don't bring silver. Mexicans are justly proud of
their silver which is among the purest in the world. Products made from it
win awards world-wide.
*Mexico Consulting Group. Mexico Business
Etiquette - Gift Giving. Executive Planet. 09 Aug. 2004
Above: The flag of